How Food Affects Your Ability to Think
What you eat could have profound effects on how you think, on your intelligence level, and on your memory. For example, according to doctors & nutritionists, what you eat can affect:
- The level of nerve chemicals in the brain that regulate your mental processes;
- The development and maintenance of brain cell function and structure;
- The insulating sheath surrounding nerve cells that speeds the transport of messages from one neuron to the next;
- The level of enzymes and their activity, which enhances brain function;
- The amount of oxygen that reaches the brain;
- The rate of accumulation and removal of cellular waste products;
- The ability of brain cells to transmit electrical messages;
- The efficiency of brain cell membranes to transport nutrients into, and debris out of, the cell.
When we don’t eat the right mix of brain-boosting nutrients, our brain cells (all 100 billion of them!) don’t function optimally and can even die.
On the other hand, choosing the right mix of foods and nutrients can keep you thinking quickly and remembering well throughout life.
Some examples of brain food include the following:
1. Fish- Improves brain function
2. 6-8 serving of fresh fruits and veggies, such as OJ, strawberries, carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, broccoli, kiwi and canteloupe- Antioxidant rich foods improve concentration and memory
3. Beans/peas/asparagus/- Vitamin B rich foods increase energy and rev brain power
4. Chicken/salmon/peanut butter/potatoes- Niacin-rich foods Improves memory, clarity
5. Wheat germ, almonds- vitamin E rich foods, slows Alzheimer’s and dementia.
Speak Your Mind
Tell us what you’re thinking…
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment.